Sunday, October 28, 2007

I'm Tooting His Horn


I'm definitely having a hard time facing the fact that my baby is a Senior and will be leaving for college in the fall.

Last night was OBA (Oklahoma Bandmasters Association) competition. Union finished second behind Broken Arrow which was expected, but heartbreaking for the Union seniors. Austin's girlfriend Lara, who is a drum major, came across the field to her mother with a big smile on her face. I'm assuming it was because the stress was finally over and she smiles a lot anyway. Austin was unhappy, grumbled about this and that and thanked his grandparents for coming. After people cleared away, Austin and I hugged each other on the field and the tears started to flow. It hit us both, though it actually hit me during the performance...this was his last marching competition
ever.

Austin picked up the trumpet for the first time in 5th grade and never turned back. This year he was Trumpet Section Leader, Brass Sergeant and a member of the loading crew. All of these are very important leadership positions. There is no doubt in my mind that his years in the band have developed him into the strong, confident person that he is now.

In the Fall, I will send him to the University of Oklahoma knowing that the foundation laid by being in the band program will carry him through to adulthood. That cheap brass instrument that we bought just to "
see if he'll like it" turned into an expensive brass instrument that kept him focused, grounded and determined to be the best he can be.

The next few weeks will consist of Senior night and football playoffs. After that, we will enjoy concert band and Jazz band through the Spring. I'm so incredibly proud of my son. He's
a musician extraordinaire and a rockin' great kid!


Please visit our new site at www.chicgalleria.com.
Copyright © 2007-2008. Chic Things Galleria. All Rights Reserved.