Saturday, January 19, 2008

Fashion Question #60~Makeup Brushes




My Chic Blog would like to welcome Jamie from The Beauty of Life as my guest blogger today. Jamie writes a fantastic blog about beauty products and reviews the latest chic "must have" items. Thanks Jamie for taking time to answer this question...

Sunflower 752000 wrote "How often should I replace makeup brushes considering I wash them once a week in brush cleaner?"

I actually don’t think replacing makeup brushes is necessary if you know how to take care of them. There are two general rules you can follow that really ensure they’ll last a lifetime!

1) I always store my brushes separately from my makeup stash – and I never just leave them rolling around in a drawer. Get a small pouch – it can be as simple as Sephora’s Signature Clear Makeup Bag ($4 on Sephora.com) That way you make sure they’re all separated from any powders, foundations, eye shadows and the like that might explode all over them in your regular makeup bag.

2) Really clean your brushes thoroughly. I’m not talking running some soap and water over them – invest in a seriously good brush cleanser that you know will get rid of all the gunk and cut down on bacteria. My favorites are Smashbox Brush Cleaner ($15 on Sephora.com), Clinique’s Makeup Brush Cleaner ($12.50 on Clinique.com), and Vincent Longo’s Hygienic Professional Brush Cleaner ($12.50 on Sephora.com).

The only time I really throw my brushes away is if I’ve somehow made them misshapen and it seems they can’t come back to life. (Which is why it’s so important to keep them separate from items that can crush and maim them!) If you really feel you need to replace your brushes, though, I’d say you can make them last at least a couple years. Especially if you’re buying good ones from Bobbi Brown or Shu Uemura!



Please visit our new site at www.chicgalleria.com.
Copyright © 2007-2008. Chic Things Galleria. All Rights Reserved.